A Step-By-Step Guide for Motor Vehicle Accident Victims
Nobody ever plans on being involved in a car accident. However, the staff at Mike Walker Law believes in preparation, and we have put together a step-by-step guide of things that you should do following a crash:
1. Make sure you are safe. In an auto accident, your well-being is the most important thing. Survey the scene. Pull over to the side of the road and stay clear of traffic, unless moving would cause further injury to yourself or someone in your vehicle.
2. Call the police. Even if the other party tells you not to, it is a good idea to call the police. They will survey the auto accident scene and complete an official accident report, which may be useful for insurance companies or in potential litigation.
3. If you are injured, make sure an ambulance is called. Because of the large adrenaline rush that often comes with an accident, you may not feel serious pain at the scene. It is important to get medical care, just in case. Many large injuries feel small at the beginning. For example, serious jaw injuries may often start as minor head and neck aches.
4. Exchange information. Make sure that you get the name, address, driver’s license number and insurance information of the other driver. This will be necessary to get compensation for property damage or personal injury.
5. Follow up with a healthcare provider. Seeking continuing care with a doctor can be critical to your health. It can also be essential to bringing a successful personal injury claim. Insurance companies will often use delays and gaps in treatment against you, arguing that your injuries are not as serious as they say or if the delay or gap is too long, that your injuries are not even related to the accident.
6. Do not cover up critical evidence. Many people rush to get their vehicles fixed after wrecks, but by doing so may lose critical evidence about the collision. Experts often inspect vehicle damage to estimate the rate of speed, force of the impact among other things. Talk with legal counsel before you take action. Injury photos showing cuts and bruises are often helpful in demonstrating the severity of a case, too.
7. Get legal advice. The best way to protect your rights is to speak with our Clearwater personal injury attorneys before talking with the other driver’s insurance company.
Call for a Free Consultation With a Clearwater Car Crash Attorney
The most important thing you can do following a car crash, after ensuring you and your passenger’s safety, is determining what your legal options are. Contact our Florida car accident lawyers online or call 727-797-2020 to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case.