Fight for Fair Compensation SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION
Blog Post


Nicoletti Walker Law Group Dec. 2, 2014

Losing a family member is a tragic event in a family’s life that can have devastating and unexpected consequences. One cannot, in any way possible, replace the support that a family member provides.

When a family member dies as a result of someone else’s negligent or intentional conduct, the family, however, may be able to obtain financial damages. These damages help compensate the family from the loss of a loved one’s earning capacity and emotional support. These types of claims are known as wrongful death or survivorship claims. A surviving family member, such as children or spouses, may bring wrongful death and survivorship claims on behalf of the deceased. Parents may also file these types of claims stemming from the death of a child, as one Florida mother is trying to do against the U.S. Veterans Administration.

Mom Plans to Sue VA Over the Death of Her Son

A Florida mother of a former veteran plans to sue the U.S. Veterans Administration for the wrongful death of her son. The Florida mother believes that the VA doctors improperly continued to prescribe her son powerful drugs, even after the son had complained to his doctor’s that the medication made him feel suicidal.

The son, a former U.S. marine, was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder following a tragic battle in Afghanistan in 2009. VA doctors treated the son with a combination of medication. In 2013, the son tragically died after swallowing a handful of pain pills and tranquilizers. The mother believes that the treatment by the VA doctors contributed to her son’s death.

According to the son’s medical records, there were “overwhelming warnings” that the son should not have been prescribed Klonopin, an anti-depressant medication. In fact, the first time the son used the medicine he attempted to commit suicide. Nevertheless, the doctors continued to prescribe him the medication. The mother believes that the VA failed in many respects: it failed to know what was in her son’s medical records, failed in prescribing Klonopin, and failed to not properly treat the PTSD. Now, the mother plans to initiate a wrongful death lawsuit against the VA. She has sent the VA an official letter of intent to sue the Department.

Contact a Florida Wrongful Death Attorney

If one of your loved one has died as a result of someone else’s negligent or reckless conduct, you may be able to bring a wrongful death or survivorship claim to recover financial compensation. Whether a loved one died in a car accident or died as a result of a doctor prescribing the wrong medication, you may be able to recover damages for the loss of your loved one. Possible damages include mental and emotional pain and suffering, medical expenses, and loss of your loved one’s earning capacity and wages.

Contact a Florida wrongful death attorney to find out how to protect your rights and to obtain the compensation you deserve. The wrongful death attorneys at Mike Walker Law can help investigate your case and advise you of your rights. We provide a free initial consultation and case evaluation.